Monday, January 30, 2012

Wanda's First UFO

Yesterday I finished off the new project that I started at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. Then I started in on my first UFO. I chose the "Trick or Treat Fairy" by Mirabilia (from a magazine) because the magazine is borrowed. I want to get it back to the owner before I lose it or wreck it.

I started it last summer with hopes of entering it in an Autumn Challenge on one of my Yahoo groups. Then I went to China for work 3 times between Labour Day and the Nov deadline, and I gave up on that idea.

I have a bit of an issue with a dye lot change in the middle of her skirt. I am trying to tell myself that it can't be seen at 50 yards from the back of a galloping horse - but in my heart I know I'm going to frog it out.

Here is the finished project. It is called "Cape Cod Girls", Primitive needle design. I ran out of the thread in the border about 10 inches from the end. A bit surprising, since I actually used it in fewer places than the chart called for. All I can figure out is that they didn't complete each cross as they went when doing the model, even though the whole thing called for WDW overdyed threads.
And here is the UFO. Can you see the colour variation in the skirt? There are about 4 or 5 rows of stitches that are lighter than the rest.

Not sure when I will get more stitches in, but hopefully I will get some time on Friday evening. At least I can be thankful that I'm not heading off to China again anytime soon.
That's it for now. Wanda in Edmonton




2 comments:

  1. Yes, I see the variation between dye lots. I finished this same design in time for Halloween last year and I had started it about two years before that. Check my blog out for a pic if you are interested. I used a different fabric than called for...seems you did the same, yes? I have it on a wall year round, cause I think its just to fab to take down and put away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you used overdyeds and I really had to look hard to figure out what was wrong.

    ReplyDelete